Sunday, June 7, 2009

My Name is Spindipity and I am a fiberaholic...



I've recently had a series of "a-ha" moments and Spindipity is the result. After years of wanting to learn how to knit, I paid a lady to teach me. I was a little overwhelmed by the prospect because the ladies in my class required help on every row. And they had been knitting for weeks! I'm happy to report that knitting is one of my numerous hobbies that I took to like a duck to water. At first it was all about "the yarn". Love the colors. Love the variety of styles. Love the creation. I haven't been back to a knitting class in three years.

When I started a new job, I just didn't have the time to knit. At one point, I was afraid that I had forgotten how to cast-on! A quick dash to the yarn closet and I realized that casting on a few stitches is like breathing. Once you get the hang of it... well, it just happens. However, a strange thing did occur. Things that I wouldn't or couldn't knit were a cake walk. I started slamming out hats, socks, tops, ruffly things. You get the idea. As a teacher, I was curious about my so-called exponential learning while not knitting. It was kind of like being in a coma for a year and then waking up with the ability to speak a new language that you had only heard of. Or... not being able to pass a basic algebra test and then suddenly you're solving all sorts of trigonometry problems. Whatever the reason, I'm glad for it.

Like everything else, I quickly became bored with doing the same old thing. On a weekend trip to Wimberley, TX, I visited Old Oaks Ranch and fell in love with the idea of taking raw wool and making yarn. Drop spindle and merino top in hand I proceeded to teach myself to spin yarn by reading books. There is a big difference between reading about it and actually doing it. I found WC Mercantile in Navasota, TX and took a quick drop spindle spinning class. I had enough knowledge under my belt, I just needed a shove in the technique direction. Mastered basic drop spindle spinning and proceeded to the wheel. Once again, slight learning curve, but well worth it.


Dyeing my own wool was the next phase of my fiber addiction. Stephanie at WC Mercantile became my mentor for all things fibery and colorful. The next step? Combing and Carding. But, I'll save that for another post.

So... as of today, I am a knitter, spinner, and all around fiber artist. I love bold, rich colors and lots of 'em. All of my inspiration comes from people on Ravelry. Talking to them about fiber and color. Looking at the art they create... it's stunning. Some people produce fiber and/or yarn that truly makes you appreciate art. And that's what dyeing and spinning is all about. Creating art through animal and plant fiber.

No comments:

Post a Comment